Fire In the Soul

Fire In the Soul
"Fire In the Soul" From the Merka series in The Elves of the Woodland Realm

Saturday, April 19, 2014

What's in my head... The Elves of the Woodland Realm

'Her Heart Stirs'
My mind is always going, always creating and coming up with things. Things in every medium I use, which is quite a bit. I have always been this way. As a child I would hear music and see images of the story in my mind. It wasn't always the literal story of the song, but how the song made me feel. Those emotions, the passion I had, created Doorways. Doorways into the worlds in my imagination. I still hold the keys to those Doors.

The Elves of the Woodland Realm is one of the worlds alive in my mind. The project started with my concept of Merka, a wild Woodland elf belonging to the Raa clan who rule the realm. She is based on my second daughter who has a very similar personality to Merka, which means 'wild'. When I came up with the concept it was late fall and I knew I wouldn't get the image I wanted until spring here in the South. That got me thinking about the winter. This is my passion, I couldn't not have a project going, my imagination wouldn't let me and now neither my heart. 

That is when Indilwen Euranna, meaning "the maiden Lily, a gift from God", was created. She is the eldest of the Raa, meaning lion, clan siblings. She is the ruling empress now and like Merka, Indilwen is based on one of my daughters, my oldest. I started right away on getting everything together and was able to complete the series by the end of February 2014. 

Indilwen Eruanna IIShe cares for her people and longs for their freedom.


 After I finished shooting the Merka and Indilwen series's, I realized that I have more of the Raa family and their story to create, and that I should create a picture book with the images and the story. I am hoping to have it completed and available for purchase by summer 2015.

Some of  Merka's, accessories are available for purchase in my Etsy shop and prints of both Merka and Indilwen are available on DeviantArt. You can also visit my website for more information on my products, photography for hire and gallery.

Follow along for my next post about how I created Merka's, costume and set, and how I turned old boots into her costume details. Also coming soon, a post on Indilwen and her costume. 


No comments:

Post a Comment