Fire In the Soul

Fire In the Soul
"Fire In the Soul" From the Merka series in The Elves of the Woodland Realm

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Underwater Fantasy Photo Shoot: Astrological Signs- The Last Six

Post number two about this shoot. Fortunately, I worked on both of these posts at the same time so you didn't have to wait too long to read them.

I'll just jump right in. If you want to read the first post, it can be found here.

CANCER

Cancer was the first costume I completed. I had always wanted to create a halo style headdress and this was the perfect opportunity to do so. I used galvanized steel as the base as I needed it to not rust since the pool we were using was a saline pool. Saltwater and steel just don't do well together. I also sealed the entire piece with polyurethane AND wax. I was concerned that the wood spikes would absorb too much water and the silver leafing would peel or they would warp. Fortunately the poly/wax combo worked! No peeling, no warping.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any in progress shots. I just didn't think about it until after the fact in this one.


Model Bryttany Hyde

 I did forget the necklace on the mannequin when I photographed the costume. Sorry about that. By the time I got to photographing the costumes on the mannequins, I was ready to not look at the costumes ever again. 

LEO

I had a strong vision for Leo. I wanted kind of a Celtic warrior/ Viking feel for the sign. Especially being a masculine sing and that our model looked like he was right out of the Viking myths and legends. Maegan, and I did a fitting of Leo video you can view on YouTube here

I did have to get a bit creative in the construction of Leo's head piece. I ended up using a latex Lion head mask, cutting it apart and then refinishing it. I again used a wax finish because of the underwater durability need. 


Model David Coleman

VIRGO

The hardest part of Virgo was her wings. Maegan had a dress that we just added fabric too, but those wings. Her head piece was pretty straight forward. I had been out shopping at Target and found these place mats that I thought would be perfect for a head piece, and I was right. I wired the place mat so it wouldn't flop over and it would stand up from the model's head. I then painted it and wired glass pearls to it and vualá! The perfect Virgo head piece. 

The wings on the other hand. We had a foam feather cutting party to cut all of those feathers. Then it took me 2 days to arrange them and attach them. I used Barge cement to permanently attach them and hot glue to hold them in place while the Barge cured, as I was worried about hot glue coming apart under water. 



Model Chelsea Patricia

LIBRA

Libra is dear to me for two reasons. 1. My sign is Libra, and 2. The model is my husband. I knew I wanted him as a model because he modeled years ago when we were dating AND he is athletic and I knew he would do well underwater. Maegan agreed. He did not disappoint, even being blind folded!

I used galvanized steel again with the chain. I also weighted the chargers with fishing weights to keep them flat in the water and it totally worked.



His image became the face of the project because the image was so straight forward in the interpretation of the sign.






SCORPIO

In planning and designing all of the costumes, my main concern was whether or not the costume and it's parts would float too much, not enough or be too heavy and be a safety concern for the models. Scorpio was one of those I really had to work to engineer to work underwater as the main material is foam. And, as well all know foam floats, like really floats.

I made her tail in various segments, just like a real scorpion, but it was hallow. I needed to have control in weighting it so it wasn't too heavy and it needed to be flexible. I used galvanized steel wire as a tail frame and sewed it to a heavy duty, nylon mesh belt I made to fit under the corset belt. The back spine was a separate piece that attached to the dress itself. I sculpted the point or stinger of the tail from Apoxie Sculpt, it's weighty for a clay, which worked and it allowed me to permanently attach the end piece to the end of the galvanized wire.





Model Nikki Larson

SAGITTARIUS

We had a model switch last minute. Like the other last minute changes and everything else, it worked!


Model Adam Hamilton
 And that is what I have been doing these last 6 months. We had a gala that Copper Coin in downtown Woodstock so graciously hosted. I also designed and published books with all of the images as well as behind the scenes images and other information. They were signed and numbered but we have since sold out of the first edition, numbered books. I believe we are going to do a second run but I will let you know about that when that decision is made. We also had art card sets made. You can find those here.



Underwater Fantasy Shoot: Astrological Signs Highlight from Boutwell Productions on Vimeo.

For the gala, I hand painted my dress. I'll do another post about that and more about the art cards, books and canvases that are available for purchase to support the project and the next one we are planning! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment