Fire In the Soul

Fire In the Soul
"Fire In the Soul" From the Merka series in The Elves of the Woodland Realm

Monday, January 19, 2015

Snow Queen

I created a headpiece for myself and my husband for Halloween 2012. I was trying to use what I had for both of our costumes. I had white sheets and scrap fabrics, white faux fur, and my white gown from my handmade Princess Leia costume. So I figured we'd be the Winter King & Queen.


We had lots of compliments especially about our headgear. I really didn't want them to be hanging around the house so I photographed them and listed them in my Etsy shop. They both sold within 1 month! My husbands piece was created from sticks and moss from my backyard, and acrylic ice pieces. Mine was created with the same acrylic ice pieces, pearls, rhinestones, paint, glitter, and plastic bottles. That's right, plastic bottles. I'll show you how in a few...

Listing images for my Etsy shop



My crown was bought by a fashion photography in Canada, Paul Chmielowiec and photographed on Maegan from the Elmer Olson model management company. The images were chosen to be the focal point of the display window on the Humber Fashion Institute campus. This window display image was taken by photographer James Doiron.


They contacted me about recreating the icicles in the crown on a much larger scale to go with the window display. I hand sculpted 50, 4' and 5' long "icicles" from plexi-glass then painted and embellished them with glitter. 

Cutting the plexi into long thin sections.

Hand sculpting each piece.


Adding a bit of white paint.

I used Mod Podge with clear crystal glitter to add some sparkle and shine to each icycle.

Glitter on the icycle.

 There was a large group of people that participated in the install of the window display. Kim Rich was in charge and did a fantastic job. They created a video of the installation process.



 So much fun!

1 comment: